Friday, April 16, 2010

14 April 2010

First item of business. Next week is TRANSFER week, and its going to be a bit different than usual. Next week our PDay will be Tuesday, and transfers will take place on Wednesday. Salt Lake decided to send the new guys up a day early so just for next week there will be a change. The following week Pday will be on Wednesday again.


As far as food, I attached a picture of me with our extremely full dinner calendar. haha I am running a bit short on money due to that. We did have a spontaneous dinner appointment last night which was good and we were fed lunch today too. As far as the grocery store I shop at its the only one here. It is City Market which is owned by Kroger Foods, and the Ralphs club card works in the Kroger stores here, so I am helping you guys with your rewards if you ever do shop there. In the city we only really had Kroger (King Soopers) and Safeway. Its alright, but food is just expensive here. I'm in a tourist town, this area isn't good for much else other than tourism. Hiking, Rafting, skiing... Those are really the only things to do out here and they have people in and out for that all the time.

These last couple weeks have been a trial of patience. I swear I am ready to leave! I get to go start over in a new place with next to no money too. :P Oh well though, I'll survive. I just want to go back to the city though. I miss having things to do places to go and actually having new people to talk to. Today we went to a lake and my companion fished while I hung out with some members that went up there with us, and played with their dogs. I have a picture of a stick (log) that their Black Lab decided to pull out of the river coming off of the lake. Its a bit funny. I decided to put that up too. So we went up there and spent a few hours and then they took us out to lunch. They are actually the members that Thomas lives with and works with.

I am ready for transfer calls on Monday night. I can't wait. I want to go to a functional ward. One where the missionaries are not required to speak every couple Sundays, and one where we get member support.

I also am excited to leave since the mission president basically laid the blame on us for not having dinner appointments. He told us to talk to leadership and work something out, and now we have none since we did! He also told us 139 is enough to live off of without dinners too. Yeah, I don't tend to buy spam when I go grocery shopping, that is not something that sounds appetizing, and top ramen is also cheap, but has no nutritional value, just empty calories and more sodium than an individual should have in a day. I choose to try and eat things that are good food.

I'm glad you guys had a good trip to SLC. I wish I could see everyone up there. This last transfer has been one of those ones that seems as long as the rest of my whole mission. It has seemed like I am not doing anything, but I know that's how the devil wants me to feel. So I've been reading the Book of Mormon a lot and just praying that it will be soon that I get to move. I know it will get better. I think of a song by Montgomery Gentry which echos the words of wisdom from the Book of Mormon in Nephi's writings, "...Things aren't good unless they're bad, and I ain't happy til I'm sad..." and then I realize that sometimes it just has to get worse before it gets better, and sometimes just so we can appreciate it.

I don't know what else you want to hear about, we're not really teaching anyone right now, we have a few potentials, but don't have too many stories from them. In the words of another country artist, " God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy." Yup that pretty much sums up life, except for that middle part if you're a mormon. But hey other religions don't care. In the words of Benjamin Franklin, "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Well anyways, my dumb quotes are digressing. haha

But "when I get where I'm going [something something something] I'm gonna spread my wings and fly." :P I think that was Brad Paisley, but don't quote me on that. Life is crazy, but I am ready to move on and try out a new place and really have some fun with it. I hope I get a decent companion and I hope I can help more people out wherever that is. I love you guys, and I'm keeping my head up, no matter what gets thrown at me, hey that was what life is about, that and relying on the atonement. That is the greatest thing, know that we, and everyone else for that matter, can grow and change and all this because our older brother has been looking out for us, he's got our backs, and that is the best protection we can ever have.

You guys take care, "just keep swimming," and we'll talk soon. In about a month to be exact! I love you all! Have a great week and we'll talk soon.

Love ya,
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment